Two years ago we had a big storm come through Central, Pa. Not only did it flood our basement, it also took away some beloved animals at our local zoo. It was a sad day for our area and the clean up was not pretty. Cleaning up a flooded basement was time consuming. I had to pump the water out which took almost a whole day and then clean out our basement of everything it ruined. From Cruisebooks from my military days to clothes I was saving to donate it all went in the trash.
The flood didn’t just take our valuables and go, it also left something in it’s wake. MOLD yes that’s right even after cleaning out our basement and putting a dehumidifier in there it was to late. The water soaked into the wood, the concrete, and any other item that can absorb water. We had the mold taken care of, but now every time we get a heavy rain I worry if our basement will flood again. We still get water in our basement, but as renters we can’t do much about it. Even after 2 years we still haven’t been able to get rid of all the mold because it is in the wood & concrete. The main thing I worry about is all the health risks caused by mold.
That’s why I wanted to share this product called ” Flood Buzz ” with you. Now I can go to bed at night knowing that if our basement does start to flood, the Flood Buzz Alarms you of a leak before it becomes a flood. I like that Flood Buzz will alarm me so that I won’t lose everything like I did 2 years ago. Flood Buzz alarms you if you have a water leak helping you keep the damage to a minimum and where there is less water damage there is less mold which is a big health risk in any home.
Clearly, leaks in the home and the potential for mold, is a hazard that must be prevented. The key to avoiding mold growth in buildings is to discover water leaks early before the leak can cause greater problems. That is where Flood Buzz comes into play.
Check out this Video on Flood Buzz Alarms Below
Here is a great article about the dangers and health effect caused mold that I suggest you all read:
Mold and dampness caused by leaks in the home can translate to high unanticipated repair costs, but even worse, they may also harbor a hidden danger — mold growth. Almost every one of us has experienced some type of water leak in our home, due to a myriad of commonplace reasons –leaky roofs, leaky or frozen pipes, plumbing issues, broken washing machines or toilets, rainstorms and hurricanes – to name a few. The damage, however, may be far worse than meets the eye.
The harmful impact of water leaks leading to mold is something every family needs to be aware of. Consider the following:
- The IOM (Institute of Medicine) found limited or suggestive evidence linking exposure to damp, indoor environments to shortness of breath and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children, and to the potential development of asthma in susceptible individuals. About one in 10 children in the United States now has asthma, which causes them to miss an average of four days of school a year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC also counsels that mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding.
- According to the World Health Organization’s Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality,” the most important means for avoiding adverse health effects from mold is the prevention (or minimization) of persistent dampness and microbial growth on interior surfaces and in building structures.”
- According to a report from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in 2005 (“Controlling and Preventing Household Mold and Moisture Problems: A Report to Congress”), “concerns in recent years have turned to the relationship between mold and allergies, asthma, and concerns about exposure to mold-produced toxins, and the resulting implications for occupant health. At the same time, it is accepted that preventing mold requires keeping exterior moisture out of the building and controlling moisture from internal sources. The moisture problems in homes … most often result from localized water sources, such as entry of water through the building envelope or plumbing leaks, rather than from improper water vapor.
www.FloodBuzzAlarms.com Josh Scharf is the founder of Archetype Ltd., which manufactures and markets Flood Buzz, among other home solution products.
About Flood Buzz:
Flood Buzz is a line of water leak alarms, home or condo owners now have available to them. Flood Buzz is an effective and inexpensive tool to help protect buildings from water leaks and possible mold growth. Flood Buzz water leak alarms are easy-to-use, low-cost, patent- protected water leak alarms designed to help mitigate damage, reduce costly remediation and avoid the associated liabilities caused by water leaks.
Flood Buzz alarms come with an internal battery with a three-year life. Installation is simple – just place it and forget it. Flood Buzz™ will sound a 90-95 dB alarm and is designed for application in homes, condos and individual apartments (under sinks and toilets, near radiators, water heaters, laundry, condensate pans, and any suspected leak locations.) to sound an alert to any moisture from water leaks.
Flood Buzz alarms are important tools to warn residents of leak conditions so that they can be fixed before they become much costlier and more dangerous problems to remediate. Water damage accounts for $11 billion in claims each year, making it one of the most common causes of losses, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Every state except Arkansas, New York, North Carolina and Virginia has adopted an ISO mold limitation for homeowners’ insurance coverage. The American Insurance Association states that water damage claims have been growing faster than other components of homeowners insurance. According to the National Flood Insurance Program, two inches of water in a 2,000 square foot home can cause $21,000 worth of damage and the cost of flooding at 12 inches is upwards of $39,000. The damage that can be done can result in exorbitant costs, and more importantly, may translate into a major health hazard.