When you choose a road less traveled, you aren’t quite sure where it will take you. By the Grace of God one of the stops on my wonderful journey as a professional blogger was attending the Globel Press Junket for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Talent for the Junket included Carrie Fisher (“Leia”), JJ Abrams (Director/Producer), Daisy Ridley (“Rey”), Adam Driver (“Kylo Ren”), Lupita Nyong’o (“Maz Kanata”), Lawrence Kasdan (Screenplay By), • Harrison Ford (“Han Solo”), John Boyega (“Finn”), Oscar Isaac (“Poe Dameron”), Gwendoline Christie (“Captain Phasma”) and Kathleen Kennedy (Producer). During the interviews, I discovered some fun facts about the costume designs for StarWars: The Force Awakens.
I believe the costume designs are the second most important part of a film. The garments created by the designer for each character set the tone and creates the vision for the period of which the movie takes place.
“The costumes were the most challenging, for us to arrive at, and I can’t wait for you to see what our costume designer, Michael Kaplan, did in this movie.” ~ J. J Abrams
What costume was the most Difficult to make?
Filmmakers went through hundreds of different versions of Kylo Ren attire before selecting the version you see in the movie.
The beauty, however, of going through so many different designs, was the birth of the costume for Captain Phasma, which was originally pitched as Kylo Ren outfit.
How long did it take to get into each costume?
- It took Adam Driver (“Kylo Ren”) a little time to get down to to the 20 minute mark.
” The first time took like an hour and a half. Then we got it down to like 20 minutes.” ~ Adam
- Lupita Nyong’o (“Maz Kanata”) is a motion capture character, so technically she didn’t have a costume. Nonetheless she still had to get suited up.
“In the beginning, it took like two and half hours, maybe three. And then by the end, we had it down to about an hour.”~ Lupita Nyong’o
- Carrie Fisher (“Leia”) being the pro she is was in her costume in about 10 to 20 minutes top.
She goes on to joke about the experience. “I’m older, and I do it faster. I have a kind of classy gas station attendant look.” ~ Carrie
- Daisy Ridley only took twenty minutes to get into her (“Rey”) costume.
“Putting the arms things on, and the wraps took a while. However, I had a wonderful woman called Callie helping me.” ~ Daisy
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens Party Idea on Pinterest
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Free Star Wars The Force Awakens Printable Decorations
- Free Star Wars: The Force Awakens Printable Party Decoration Pack
- Free Star Wars: The Force Awakens Printable Cupcake Toppers & Decorations
- Free Star Wars: The Force Awakens Invitation & Thank You Card Templates
Star Wars The Force Awakens Gift Ideas
- Introducing Star Wars: The Force Awakens To Disney Infinity 3.0
Star Wars The Force Awakens Bedroom Idea
- 50 Star Wars A Force Awakens Birthday Gift Ideas for Kids
- 25 Star Wars Books for Kids
Star Wars The Force Awakens Crafts
Star Wars The Force Awakens Food Idea
Star Wars The Force Awakens Interviews & Fun Facts
- Fun Facts on the Costume for StarWars: The Force Awakens
- 3 Lessons Kids can learn from Star Wars: The Force Awakens & Spoiler-Free
Star Wars The Force Awakes In theaters Now