To celebrate the release of FOX Searchlight new sports biography BATTLE OF THE SEXES starring Emma Stone and Steve Carrell. Our them was invited to a special weekend event that consisted of a Tennis Clinic with the stars of the film, World Premiere and after party in Westwood, California and a seat at the press junket. Durning the junket, our correspondent Selena Huges discovered 5 fun facts about BATTLE OF THE SEXES from the cast.
Here are 5 Fun Facts About BATTLE OF THE SEXES From The Cast
- Paying it forward. To commemorate the release of the movie, the anniversary of the Battle of the Sexes match and to pay tribute to Billie Jean King’s tireless fight for equality and inclusion in the world of sports Twenty First Century Fox will donate, for every ticket sold to see Battle of the Sexes on opening weekend, .79 cents to The Women Sports Foundation. Why .79 cents? On average women earn .79 cents for every dollar that a man earns.
- Preparing to be Billie Jean King. “I had never played a real person before. I wasn’t sure what my process was gonna be. I didn’t want to spend too much time with her, Billie Jean, and it seem like I was doing an impersonation. I read and watched a lot of footage from the time period because now she is so fully formed and have closure and hindsight. I wanted to capture her at 29, so I researched Billie Jean King specifically for that time frame.”
- The Message vs. The Marriage. “He saw Billie Jean King as a very strong, powerful woman with a message and statement that she wanted to get out into the world. He sacrificed himself to allow her to deliver that message and he gave her all the tools necessary to do so. Larry King and Billie Jean King’s relationship was built on selflessness. They knew that it was about the message, the message was more important than the marriage.”
- Telling my story. “To me everything that happens is a blessing. It’s about relationships. And I’m thankful for all of them. I never thought my story would be made into a movie, movie. Stories had been told but this was perfect.”
- On Bobby Riggs’ true colors. “I don’t think he cared about politics. I don’t think he had a foot in feminism or chauvinism, I think he just wanted to make some dough and to promote himself. He wanted to be famous.”
Battle of the Sexes In Theaters Now.
(This movie is for mature audiences only)
|About The Author||
Selena Huges is the Editor in Chief of SelenaHuges.com. Mrs. Huges is a mother of 2 lovely boys, has a BS in Journalism and love spending her free time cooking, crafting or exploring the big world.
More about Battle of the Sexes
Battle of the Sexes Movie Synopsis
The 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs became the most watched televised sports event of all time. Trapped in the media glare, King and Riggs were on opposite sides of a binary argument, but off-court each was fighting more personal and complex battles. With her husband urging her to fight for equal pay, the private King was also struggling to come to terms with her own sexuality, while Riggs gambled his legacy and reputation in a bid to relive the glories of his past.