The magical origami in “Kubo and the Two Strings” is just amazing, especially the birds, which are my absolute favorite. What better way to enjoy them a little longer than by making a “Kubo and the Two Strings” DIY Mason Jar Origami Bird Lantern. You can use any kind of light source from a led light, glow sticks or a candle. For the example, I used a vanilla scented tea light candle. Remember not to put the lid on with a lit candle!
Materials for “Kubo and the Two Strings” DIY Mason Jar Origami Bird Lantern
- Glass mason or preserving jar
- Spray paint – black gloss
- Spray paint – white undercoat
- Removable adhesive spray and plain white printer paper, or
- Removable sticker sheet to print template directly on to
- Paper cutting blade (you can use scissors instead but it is a little bit more difficult)
- “Kubu and the Two Strings” DIY Mason Jar Lantern Origami Bird
Instructions for “Kubo and the Two Strings” DIY Mason Jar Origami Bird Lantern
- Print out our template on to regular printer paper, or on to a removable sticker sheet.
- Cut out the top origami bird template (without numbers), making sure to stay on the outside of the wide black line.
- Spray the back with removable adhesive spray and wait for it to dry (mine said 2 minutes)
- Your glass jar needs to be completely clean and dry
- Stick on your adhesive template
- Spray the jar with white undercoat. It needs to be white as that will help the light reflect outwards. Don’t forget to spray the lid too if desired!
- Leave to dry according to your paint instructions
- Spray with the black gloss paint, and leave to dry. Once dry you can peel off the template
- While you wait for the paint to dry you can cut out the next template. This time you need to cut on the inside of the thick black line. I have numbered the pieces so it will be easier to assemble on the jar!
- If you peeled off your template and there is a little glue residue left on the glass, (probably because the glue was too thick or you (ME!) didn’t wait till it was completely dry) you can remove the residue with hand sanitizer (or alcohol) without the paint coming off.
- Stick on the smaller templates (this can be a little bit fiddly). These lines will not have the undercoat so they will be slightly transparent when the light shines through!
- Spray paint the bird as before, leave to dry and peel the pieces off
And now you have your very own “Kubo and the Two Strings” inspired lantern with the magical origami birds!